Wednesday 12 April 2017

Sustainability - too good to be true.


Everybody is talking about sustainability. So I am thinking about it, too.
The thing is: We are talking about it as if we had not made an enourmously destructive impact on our planet already. As if it was just a precaution. Or taking care. Let's be honest: We've destroyed so much of our planet that it is a farce to talk about sustainability. We can start talking about that when we've reached a point where the damage is repaired (if that is possible at all) and we are truly protecting nature. 
I've read an article the other day about conscious consumerism and about how it doesn't exist (and I quite agree). 
To tell you the truth, I am quite annoyed with this whole sustainability-talk. We are all pretending how much we are trying to save the planet. We buy organic food, organic clothes, energy saving light bulbs, ... and we buy on and on and on... more than ever.
But there is no sustainability in consume. The only way to preserve or save resources is not to use them. I don't make an impact on companies when I buy organic. I make an impact on companies when I don't buy certain things at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment