Tuesday, 30 January 2018

Whitework embroidery

While on my second year of "make and mend" and with an awful lot of bills coming in in August 2017 (car broke down twice, dentist, government fees...), I was looking for something else to do arts &crafts wise, that would give me new skills, need some time and is cheap as in "doesn't need a lot of special equipment".

So I started a project in whitework embroidery. I had been toying with the idea of whitework emboidery for some time, and have already done a bit of embroidery for the 18th century (crewel embroidery stomacher, very simple design). So it seemed like a good idea.

I found it really interesting. The stitches themselves are really easy standard stuff - only a lot of them and you should try to make them really even... I think I still need some practise there. A lot of it actually.

In case you can't read it, the letters say "We'll manage". Not We'll Moan Age. That's just the way I've embroidered it.

I think I used about 4 or 5 strands of white yarn (Anchor), and I only stitched with half of the thread (for whatever reason, I have no explanation for that, but once begun I couldn't really change it...). The fabric is a tight cotton fabric from my stash. The total cost was about 6 euros for the yarn. And it took me 4 months to make it.

After finishing it I mounted it on a canvas and now it is hanging in our bathroom. :)

It was a fun project. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment