Sunday 7 July 2019

Fast Fashion, Consumerism and Costumes




In Germany, people buy 60 items of clothing each year and 20% aren't worn once.


If you understand German, here is an interesting discussion about fast fashion.

https://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/oekobilanz-der-textilindustrie-fast-fashion-um-jeden-preis.1083.de.html?dram%3Aarticle_id=452816&fbclid=IwAR1lmrs0uxgy0d_3atNtinwaHyC9f22eRJuqLwhXTo96Is9D9ofdjgtulV0


And what does this have to do with costumes... well, I am in a bit of a crisis with my costume sewing - while I would very much like to do some historical sewing ("Project 1908"), I wonder, whether it is not a pure waste of resources. On the other hand I learn so many new techniques and about fitting from it, that it probably does help me and maybe one IS allowed to have a little bit of a hobby...? But: Make it count! Good quality fabrics, no rushing over a project, no shortcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment