Wednesday 4 June 2014

Devonshire Apple Scones

I LOVE Scones! And every time after enjoying a 2-scones-with-lots-of-clotted-cream-and-jam-cream-tea I am convinced I can NEVER EVER eat again. This state usually lasts about 48 hours. :)

Here in Germany I don't get cream teas. *sob*
But the wonderful Mr. B. has given me a recipe book - "Favourite English tea time recipes" - and today I've made scones. In June you'd expect sunny dry warm to hot weather in these parts of Germany but today the weather has been particularly English. Overcast in the morning. A sort of indecisive drizzle around noon and a neverending soft rain all afternoon. It was crying out loud for some english cream tea!!
 I am really really sorry I've not taken pictures... suddenly all of the scones were gone, honestly!

So here's the recipe, I've converted all the imperial stuff. ;)

230 grams self raising flour (I've used "instant mehl" and an extra dollop of baking bowder...)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
115 grams butter
60 grams brown sugar
2 medium sized apples (peeled and cored and finely diced)
1 medium egg

1. preaheat oven to 190 degrees
2. mix flour, cinnamon and baking powder
3. rub in butter, stir in sugar, then apples.
4. stir in egg
5. now fine-tune the consistency - maybe add a little more flour - the dough has to be firm enough to "stand" in heaps but not too dry and "floury"
6. mould into heaps - depending on you taste 6-12 heaps, they sort of look like little rock cakes on floured baking sheet.
7. bake for 20-25mins.
8. let them sit on the tray a few minutes after taking the tray out of the oven, then transfer them to a wire rack.
9. serve warm, split in half. depending on your taste with rasperry or strawberry or whatever jam, and with butter or clotted cream. (I couldn't lay my hands on clotted cream so I used plenty of "creme double" instead). Make sure you eat enough to feel so full you are absolutely sure you can NEVER EVER eat (scones) again. ;) An'

'ave a cuppa!

Love!



No comments:

Post a Comment