Wednesday 15 June 2016

I am not a Minimalist. - What Minimalism means to me. And what it doesn't. About "needs" and "desires".


People seem to think of minimalism as something very uncomfortabe. As if you'd have to sleep on a bed of nails. Eat cardboard. Live in a cave somewhere far away, all on your own. Of course, you could make it into an extreme way of life. Don't get me wrong, I think to work on modesty, on moral qualities, is an honorable thing. But I don't see myself living up to that high standard every day.

It's not about tormenting myself (and my family) with lots of "don't"s, "mustn't"s and "cannot"s.

Minimalism means to me, that I get rid of things that clutter our space or clutter my mind. It doesn't mean that I throw away everything that has no immediate purpose.

I find that distinction very important, because with this personal version of minimalism I am not chastising myself, I am not denying myself anything really. I am creating space and time by focussing on what is important. And to me, it's not owning "stuff" or living by the "bigger, better, faster, more" axiom. I simply avoid consumerism. And I enjoy what we own on a more conscious level.

While we were on our "8 months on 55% salary and no car" parental time challenge, we learned a lot about what we needed and what we wanted. Well, I did. My husband is a natural minimalist. He doesn't have to think about it.

I don't want to fall into the trap of consumerism again. So despite the fact that I am sorting through posessions I've acquired in the past and am freeing myself from unnecessary and unwanted burden, I need to stay vigilant now, otherwise I might just continue the way I was. It would be a real shame to fill up the space that I created with more "stuff" right away again!

I think it is very important to be aware of whether you "need" an item, or whether you "desire" it. Most advertisements will try to make us believe, that we "need" something. I would say that if you can't get items you need (such as food, clean water, shelter, clothing, education, sanitation, healthcare) it would make your every day life very difficult. The items that belong to the "desire"-category have no such impact on every day life.

Because of the way western society works and the environment we have grown up in, the perception of what belongs into the "need" or the "desire" category can get blurred. I used to fall for deceptions like that. Even if deep down I felt I'd bought something I didn't need, I found a reason why I "needed" it. I couldn't just say "I am buying it because I desire to own it". That way I would have realized that I wanted an awful lot of things just to own them and let's face it, "you can't always get what you want". But if you NEED something, well that's an entirely different matter, isn't it?! The mind is a wondrous thing. ;)

I am no exception to this, I am susceptible to this manipulation. So when I see something in a shop and I am really tempted to buy it, I am trying to determine whether I "need" this item or whether I "desire" it. I ask myself these questions:

1. What purpose does this item serve?
2. Have I got something at home that serves the same purpose?
3. How often would I use it? 
4. If I don't get this item now, will it make my life difficult?
5. (Bonus question: Is the quality acceptable for the price?)

So let's go through these questions with an example: I see a T-Shirt, really nice print, fits well, good price, cute and all.

1. What purpose does this item serve? 
- It's a T-Shirt. It serves the purpose of keeping me warm/clothed.
2. Have I got something at home that serves the same purpose?
- Yes. Oh yes. Plenty.  (I could stop this inner dialogue at this point...)
3. How often would I use it? 
- Considering I have got plenty of T-Shirts already... I would probably wear it nearly every day in the beginning and then it becomes part of the crowd and then... on average once a month maybe? At best.
4. If I don't get this item now, will it make my life difficult?
- No. In fact it would make my life more difficult if I got this.
5. (Bonus question: Is the quality acceptable for the price?)
- This question only applies if the other questions result in the fact that I need the item. It is made to ensure good quality and maybe even made locally? Ethically? (The answer in Shirts is usuall "no")


I think we can say for very sure now, that I don't "need" that T-Shirt and getting it would be very unreasonable. Some more on clothes: http://www.becomingminimalist.com/a-practical-guide-to-owning-fewer-clothes/



I really like this short post about how to find your own way of RATIONAL minimalism: http://www.becomingminimalist.com/find-a-rational-minimalism-that-works-for-you/

Here are a few posts from other blogs with interesting views on the topic on owning and reducing.





PS: Just on the side: While sorting through clothes I found 3 T-Shirts from the late 1990s/early 2000... remember... this music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNQRtmIMxk . Did you show your belly button? ;) Hilarious. I hope someone at the charity shop will love them now as much as I loved them back then. I've heard the 90s are back in fashion... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment