Monday 12 September 2016

Silk Sorbetto - Colette Patterns

About a year ago I had bought two small pieces of a vintage japanese silk, possibly remnants of a kimono. I had initially intended to make a small summer dress for little Miss No 1 from it, but when the fabric arrived I just couldn't see it as a child's dress... the silk seems to be handpainted/printed with leaves and the thought of chocolate ice cream on that made me cringe. So I let it mature.
Some months ago I stumbled over this free pattern Sorbetto by Colette Patterns. https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/sorbetto 

I made one big change - I inverted the front center pleat and only closed it up to the height of the darts to make the whole shirt nice and wide and airy for summer. 

The fabric was just enough to make the pattern (I couldn't cut the pieces on the fold though, but as the pattern is quite lively, it doesn't really show). I used french seams so the inside would look and feel nice and it was just enough fabric to make self-fabric bias tape for the neckline and the arm holes. 

I really like the outcome, although the pattern of the fabric is far more lively than what I usually wear. The silk is flowing and cool, although it is quite thick and not see-through at all. It was also very forgiving while sewing. :) 

I didn't seem to be able to put on a normal face while the picture was taken. Sorry for that. Concentrate on the shirt. 




As for the pattern: The sizing is very accurate and there is not much ease (just right) in it, so I recommend to make a mock-up from cheap fabric first to make minor changes. Apparently Colette Patterns drafts their sizes for a C-Cup, but I didn't have to make any changes that way. Possibly my wish for a very loose fit had something to do with that.
Instructions are clear, I can definitely recommend this pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment