|Boxing day at Selfridge's.|
This might sound weird, but if I look around myself, listen to the TV, the radio, look at people in town - it must be considered one. I've even googled it, and there is evidence - there are a lot of people out there that consider shopping a leisure activity. And it isn't. No. Really not.
Let me be very open with you: How empty must your life be, if you consider shopping a hobby? -
Don't get offended - I was there once. I spend hours walking through "all" the shops in town and looking at the windows. And I didn't only spend time there. Hindsight is a marvellous thing, I consider all those hours a waste of time now, but then again that's how it turned out.
There are a lot of articles on this topic online, so I recommend a few to you here.
If you are at loss about what to do with that time that you would have usually spend shopping, why not have a look at my post about "pleasant activities"? http://hertzwerk-freiburg.blogspot.com/2016/08/go-for-pleasant-activities.html
If you have problems with saying "no" to shopping but want to quit, I have these suggestions for you:
- Stay away from town and do something from the "pleasant activities list".
- Stay away from your computer. Just don't go on your "usual" shopping pages. You don't need it.
- Only go shopping with a list and stick to that list.
- Transfer all spare money to a savings account. Don't carry a card for that account with you.
- Don't use the credit card. Leave it at home if you can't control pulling it out.
- Start using cash if you are generally more of a card user. If the money's gone the money's gone. And that's that.
- Be disciplined. You are worth so much more than that T-Shirt. Especially if you don't buy it.
If you want to know, what hobbies are, here's the link to the wikipedia definition, that can also serve as inspiration! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby
And to close the circle to the above image, THIS is what you stretch out your hands for desperately. Food.
The behaviour of oversatisfied consumers in the western world seems obscene to me sometimes. A lot, actually.